What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small piece of text that websites send to the browser and that are stored in the user’s terminal, which can be a personal computer, a mobile phone, a tablet, etc. These files allow the website to remember information about your visit, such as your language and preferences, which can make your next visit easier and the website more useful by customizing its content. Cookies play a very important role in improving the experience of using the Web.
types of cookies
Depending on the entity that manages them, cookies can be:
- Own cookies: These are those that are sent to the terminal equipment of the interested party from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
According to the length of time they remain activated:
- Session Cookies : They are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only of interest to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion.
- Persistent cookies: These are a type of cookie in which the data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies are processed, the website may use:
Technical cookies – These are those that allow the user to navigate through the web page or application and the use of the different options or services that exist in it. For example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access restricted access web parts, remember the elements that make up an order, make the request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements during navigation and store content for video or sound broadcasting.
Personalization cookies – These are those that allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined in their terminal or defined by the user himself. For example, the language, the type of browser through which you access the service, the selected content design, the geolocation of the terminal and the regional configuration from which the service is accessed.
Advertising cookies – These are those that allow the effective management of the advertising spaces that have been included in the web page or application from which the service is provided. They allow the content of the advertising to be adapted so that it is relevant to the user and to avoid showing ads that the user has already seen.
Statistical analysis cookies – These are those that allow the monitoring and analysis of user behavior on websites. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the websites, application or platform and to create browsing profiles of the users of these sites, with the aim of introducing improvements in the service based on the usage data made by users.
You can see the cookies used on this website in the settings panel and adjust their settings at any time.
Note: “Own” type cookies are used only by the owner of this website and “Third party” cookies are also used by the service provider detailed in the previous table.
How to manage cookies in the browser?
The user has the option to allow, block or delete the cookies installed on their computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on their terminal:
- Firefox : http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/habilitar-y-deshabilitar-cookies-que-los-sitios-we
- Chrome : http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=es&answer=95647
- Internet Explorer : https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/help/278835/how-to-delete-cookie-files-in-internet-explorer
- Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/help/4468242/microsoft-edge-browsing-data-and-privacy-microsoft-privacy
- Safari : http://support.apple.com/kb/ph5042
- Opera : http://help.opera.com/Windows/11.50/es-ES/cookies.html
In some browsers, specific rules can be set to manage cookies on a per-website basis, offering finer control over privacy. This means that you can disable cookies from all sites except those you trust.